Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dust Bowl Metal Show Local review 08/12/2016

DUST BOWL METAL SHOW
HOME
Dust Bowl Metal Review 08/12/2016

Well I did not plan on going anywhere this weekend because I am tied up with shooting videos for my band and getting things done for the radio show as well as getting ready for
Dime Fest at Joes Grotto Saturday the 20th It’s is a rare sighting for 2 IN THE CHEST because we usually stay underground during the summers because of the heat. Anyway I received a phone call from a very dear friend stating he had access to some tickets to a show that was being held at the Marquee Theater.  When I found out who, I became very excited, maybe a little too; excited to say the least. The band I am referring to is STRYPER. I haven't seen these guys perform sense 1989 and lemme tell you it was awesome.
But let’s step back a little bit. The entire show was amazing I missed the first band. I thought the show started at 8:00 pm, well apparently it did not. So I missed the first act. I did however make the second act and so on. The band that was loading on stage was an instrumental band. HANDS & FEET.
I am not too interested in instrumental bands because I am so used to listening to someone sing when I go to a show. 
But all that aside, these guys are very, very good. 
It is a three piece band and the bass player has a Jaco Pastorius vibe with his sound and I like that a lot. Very well versed on his playing style great stage presents and you can tell this guy has been playing for a while.
The guitar player and style of playing is in the vein of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. And to pull riffs off like these guys, you have to be very good and let me tell you this guy has some great finger work. The music was very catchy as well. The siinger has a charisma about him as well. You were just drawn to his charismatic vibe. 
The drummer well that guy is just cool. He was very prepared and very tight with his chops, as well as a great visual performance. HAND & FEET get 1 and 2/3 horns <\m/ \m> because I’m a jerk and really don’t care for bands without a singer. But as I said these guys rocked the house at the marquee for sure and yes I would go see them again. They are very entertaining. 
Next up was a band that donated to the dust bowl metal show and I haven't been able to see them yet, until this night. COLOR OF CHAOS Now these guys are a power house 80's style metal band with incredible stage presents too. 
You can tell these guys have played a few shows together and I mean a few shows. Very good band of musicians.
Although I am really not into that type of metal anymore, it still lays strong on my heart because it’s great music when metal music had singers. And in the words of Mr. Michael Sweet of Stryper, in the 80s there were some pretty guys. Lol he is right some of them looked better than the chicks did. 
 Well anyway the singer is a crazy man on stage taking control of the crowd like no one’s business. The bass player stands about 100 feet tall, naaa just kidding.  A tall guy for sure. He plays a Thunderbird bass, and in my book, that’s is awesome. Great sound on the bass. The guitar player was phenomenal to say the least. Very good chops and the music as I said, has an 80s flair to it, and it’s really cool. They look great on stage they performed very well and the crowd really loved them.  COLOR OF CHAOS  gets 1 and 2/3 <\m/\m> Metal Horns. Because they are just freaking entertaining bam! Period



The next band was one I came to check out. STRYPER what can you say about these guys? I seen these guys at a place called the Pride Pavilion way, way back in 1989-90 it was back when they were wearing their yellow and black outfits and to me that’s what really stuck out with these guys to me. Well besides the really good music that is. 
Michael has been around the block a few times I mean wow! And he is still rocking the stage with the likes of George Lynch, and many, many other bands. Just type his name into google click videos and you will see some of his work. This band if some of you don’t know, is an icon in the Christian community. 
They were, and still are the super metal band from back in the day. But the cool thing about these guys is they are still writing music together and still touring. OZ fox, really; do I need to say anymore, this guy is amazing with his guitar. Michael as well. Robert Sweet on the drums, this guy is a maniac. Some of you don’t know but he started out playing guitar, but he ended up on the drums I’m sure we are all glad he did. He is a mad beast back there on them skins. Oh and let’s not forget the cool bass player. Tim Gaines this guy just looks cool. He owns that bass and they are all great singers too. This show was darn near a full house at the marquee. When they started I immediately went into oh my gosh mode. I mean these guys were spot on. They have not lost it. In fact; they are just as pro as it gets. STRYPER  wow! Man the stage show was very good these guys know what they’re doing because they have been doing it for 30 plus years. The only thing that bothered me was the same thing that bothered me with kiss. When Kiss unmasked I became disinterested in them, because their concept was what I grew up loving. 
When STRYPER came out in regular stage attire you know, the cool black metal clothing I was kind of bummed. The good news is, they are coming back in about a month or so and they are going to do the entire record TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL and they will be doing it in their old black and yellow outfits. Now I don’t think anyone is going to stop me from going to this show, and that’s for sure. They get 4 dust devils because they were not wearing their killer clothes. Sad face.


On a side note I was a bit upset at one of the security guards. This guy must not know what kind of show he was doing security for because, he some kind of a God complex or something. Let's just say he had a very crappy attitude 1. And 2 when Michael Sweet was throwing out picks to the crowd, one landed just on the other side of the cattle wall. And this guy about 60 years old or so went just on the other side of this cattle wall to get the pick, and this security guard all but tackled him like a freakin NFL football player. This is an older gentleman, he merely wanted the pick Michael threw out. This is not the worst part. 



That mean son of gun went over picked up the guitar pick, mind you, I have been watching the whole thing. He picked up this guitar pick and I thought he was going to hand it to this older guy after all he just slammed the poor old dude. No that would be doing something nice, this guy threw the pick deeper into the crowd leaving the older gentleman standing there with a, what the heck just happened look on his face. 



STRYPER was performing so it was very hard to hear anyone talk in the building but I walked over to that security guy and just lipped...



“THAT WAS BAD MAN, THAT WAS JUST BAD WOW!”  And he gave me a screw you look and went back to being a jerk at side stage. (TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE OR KNOW WHO WORKS THERE HE WAS THE GUY ON STAGE LEFT). Ya, a room full of Christians, like they are going to cause trouble. Whatever, this guy was just being a jerk. 


Let me elaborate just a bit. Back in 1992 my band ScapeGoat performed at a festival called Cornerstone Fest in Bushnell Illinois, and there were like 9 thousand Christians there. Do you know how many cops? ZERO  that’s right ZERO. This guy could have been courteous and walked over to the guy and asked him to step back and he would get the pick for him. But no he had to practically tackle him like a freakin football player and then not give the guy the pick after doing it. This guy really needs to take a chill pill. If a person it that type of position does not know how to read people then they should not be in that position. If he had the skill he would have seen what was going on and maybe, just maybe he would have been a little nicer to the older gentleman, because he would have understood why he was on that side of the cattle wall. He was not lunging at the players on stage. Anyone with half a grain could have seen that but no not this clueless guy. It was just down right pitiful.  
Anyway that’s the review for Friday august 12th 2016
Reverend Black Jack McBride.   





No comments:

Post a Comment